Dental Assisting Career
Options & Outlook
At A-Z School of Dental Assisting & Front Office, we are dedicated to training dental assistants to provide attentive, skilled services in any dental setting. One of the great things about a career in dental assisting is the wide variety of career opportunities. If you’re interested in a patient focused career with a variety of opportunities for growth, dental assisting might be the perfect fit.
Job Opportunities Available to Dental Assistants
One of the most exciting things about working as a dental assistant is the variety of job opportunities that are available, not only do assistants perform a variety of jobs within any given office on any given day, but there are a number of ways dental assistants apply their knowledge and training. Some of the work environments available for trained dental assistants include:
- General dental practice assisting
- Specialty practice assisting including orthodontics, oral and maxillofacial surgery, prosthodontics, periodontics, endodontics, and pediatrics
- Public health dentistry working with governments, schools, or clinics to improve oral health for entire communities
- Hospital dental clinics assisting with dental trauma treatments, providing dental care to bedridden patients, and more
- Dental schools teaching future dental assistants
- Dental labs assisting in the creation of prosthetics, nightguards, whitening trays, and other necessary items
- Assistants also work as representatives for dental product sales and with dental insurance companies by processing claims
Room for Advancement
Because dental assistants achieve such a wide base of knowledge in the dental field, there are many opportunities to grow in their profession. This could mean continuing education to perform more functions as a dental assistant, studying to be a dental hygienist, training as a ceramist, or even completing a doctoral degree in dentistry. There’s no limit to what a dental assistant can do.
Future Dental Assisting Career Outlook
Dental assisting is one of the fastest growing career fields, and research continues to reflect this. Some recent estimates of potential growth in the field include:
- According to 2014 information from the Board of Labor Statistics, there were more than 300,000 dental assisting jobs available in 2014, and between 2014 and 2024, the field is projected to grow by 18%. A US News & World Report study showed that the field would grow nearly 25% by 2022. Regardless of which is more accurate, these percentages are well above the average for all professions.US News & World Report ranked dental assisting #30 in best health care jobs and #67 of the 100 best jobs over all. These rankings were determined based on future career opportunities, payment to training ratio, job satisfaction, and other metrics for career success.
- Most assistants complete training and certification for well under $10,000 and make between $24,000 and $48,000 annually. Assistants made $35,000 a year on average and worked just 4 days a week. The highest paid assistants lived in Manchester, NH; San Francisco, CA; and Haverhill, MA.
Job Placement Support
At A-Z School of Dental Assisting & Front Office, students will get help and support for dental assisting job placement services, including information that will be provided to students on how to prepare and create personalized cover letters, resumes, and recommendation letters. Also, students will learn to handle externship and job opportunities and interviews.
Contact A-Z School of Dental Assisting & Front Office Today at (480) 467-3375
According to Claudia Pohl, past president of the American Dental Assistant Association, the best thing people interested in dental assisting can do is to seek education and training. Even in states where education and certification are not required, seeking out training can set you apart marking you as a dedicated professional. At A-Z School of Dental Assisting & Front Office, we offer our students the ability to quickly and effectively learn the field and become an asset to any dental office. Contact our friendly team of educators to find out more today.